Friday, December 28, 2007

'Tis the Season...

...To get on a plane, bus, train or ship, and come visit NYC. I am in Rockefeller Center just about every day and I can tell you that I have never seen it more crowded that in the last few days. The big tree captures most people, like a tractor beam and they fight to be free and find other treasures.
Today people were absolutely enthralled with the Zamboni at the Rock Center Rink. They ooohed and aaahed as it magically skimmed the ice and then the driver tucked it back into it's cubby hole.
As soon as the all clear rang out, the ice was filled to capacity with skaters possessing all levels of balance. You know how drunk people think they can fight like Mike Tyson? Well, I have come to the conclusion that the tourists have decided that upon entering the 5 boroughs, they magically turn in to Brian Boitano. And folks, I have got to tell you, sometimes it is down right entertaining. Mark my words, seeing Blades of Glory on the airplane does NOT mean you can do a triple axel without tasting the ice.





I will grab a sandwich and people watch, maybe talking with some tourists with questions about what to see, where to go and what to eat.

Other than talking with folks from far away places I watch how people take pictures. It is a torturing experience for me because the photojournalist in me wants to just observe them and learn their story, while the photographer in me wants to coach them...just move a little lower and to the right...thats it, now wait 5 seconds until the big guy in the white shirt out of the shade...the shirt will bounce a bunch of light in your daughters face and really make it stand out from the tree in the background.








No comments: